Quarterly report pursuant to Section 13 or 15(d)

Organization, Business and Going Concern

Organization, Business and Going Concern
3 Months Ended
Nov. 30, 2017
Organization, Business and Going Concern [Text Block]

Organization, Business and Going Concern


Lexaria Biosciences Corp. (“Lexaria”, or the “Company”) Company was formed on December 9, 2004 under the laws of the State of Nevada as an independent oil and gas company engaged in the exploration, development and acquisition of oil and gas properties in the United States and Canada. In March of 2014, the Company began its entry into the bioscience and alternative health and wellness business and discontinued its involvement in the oil and gas business in November 2014. In May 2016, the Company also commenced out- licensing its patented technology for improved delivery of bioactive compounds that promotes healthy ingestion methods, lower overall dosing and higher effectiveness in active molecule delivery. The Company has its office in Kelowna, BC, Canada.


On November 2, 2017, the Company announced it acquired 100% ownership interest in its majority owned subsidiary PoViva Tea, LLC. The Company previously owned a 51% interest in PoViva Tea, LLC and acquired the remaining 49% interest. Compensation was $70,000, a waiver on certain debts, and a 5%, 20 -year royalty on net profits of ViPova Tea TM tea, coffee, and hot chocolate sales. No Lexaria stock or options were issued. The 20 -year royalty was determined to have a $Nil fair value as PoViva operates at a loss and future profitability is uncertain.


The Company’s unaudited interim consolidated financial statements have been prepared in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States applicable to a going concern, which contemplates the realization of assets and the satisfaction of liabilities and commitments in the normal course of business. The Company has a net loss of $578,713 for the three months ended November 30, 2017 (2016: $400,553) and had a deficit accumulated since its inception of $13,748,652 (August 31, 2017: $13,169,939). The Company had a working capital balance of $2,321,497 as at November 30, 2017 with net cash used in operating activities of $520,321 during the three months ended November 30, 2017.


The Company requires additional funds to maintain its operations and developments. Management’s plans in this regard are to raise equity and debt financing as required, but there is no certainty that such financing will be available or that it will be available at acceptable terms. The outcome of these matters cannot be predicted at this time.